Disney Lorcana is a worldwide hit - this is currently evidenced by the limited availability of card sets and boosters. Ravensburger himself is surprised by the enormous success. It's worth taking a closer look at the ideas behind the game, especially given the license on which the new trading card game is based. What almost seems to be lost in the chaos of the sales launch: Disney Lorcana has a real story.
For Disney Lorcana, the creative minds behind the trading card game have created their own universe in which time and space sometimes only play minor roles. The reason for this is pretty clever: you can draw on the characters for the next chapter of the trading card game and use them wherever it suits you best. What many people don't know: There is a real story behind the new trading card game that is intended to gradually introduce fans to the idea of Lorcana. Ravensburger celebrated the start of the storyline in mid-August with the sale of Disney Lorcan in specialized retailers.
Ravensburger had previously shown the story and the associated teaser at Gen Con, making it clear: Disney Lorcana is being processed for fans on several levels. The focus is on a young woman, but an anonymous character who is apparently supposed to represent a fan of the game. The idea is clever, because behind the decision not to give the character a name there is probably a desire to build the ladies with the purple hair as a representative for the entire Lorcana community. She was sucked into a magical portal, into the world of Lorcana. She then arrived at the central library to begin the adventure.
Disney Lorcana: Strange seaweed everywhere
There is now another, much longer trailer in which Ravensburger shows more of the story of Disney Lorcana. The title heroine first meets two other adventurers and then a mysterious machine that is activated with a beam of light - ultimately a drawing of the Disney character Hercules becomes a "real" figure. Although Ravensburger does not market the second trailer as a story trailer, in the end the video is exactly that: it continues the teaser published in mid-August, introduces new elements and provides information about some details from the Lorcana concept.
At its core it is about a great catastrophe, the flood. On some cards in the first chapter of Disney Lorcana, players are confronted with exactly this. The story is present directly in the game: For example, the discovery of a mysterious algae is visible on the starter set card “Duke of Pitzbühl”. The subtitle of the card: “Witchcraft” I knew it. Something is wrong in this country.” And the Mickey Mouse Detective card also points in this direction: Mickey himself is investigating a find of seaweed that no one knows where it comes from. “Something was wrong here,” the card said. Ultimately, this creates the Floodborn cards (flood figures), which represent completely different interpretations of the well-known Disney characters and are alternatives to the legendary figures and dream figures. The story elements do not serve the creative team as mere entertainment elements, but are directly reflected in the gameplay.
The rest of the story initially remains nebulous. But one thing is already clear: there is more story behind Disney Lorcana than you might have thought of the game at first glance. How it goes on? Ravensburger will probably tell you this in the course of the coming publication cycles. The next Disney LorcanThe “Second Chapter” set has already been announced and is scheduled to come onto the market in late fall.
Disney Lorcana is commercially available
- There are three different “Disney Lorcana” TCG Starter Decks with an immediately playable deck, quick start rules, a legend counter, tokens and a booster pack.
- The "Disney Lorcana" TCG Booster Packs each consist of twelve random playing cards, including a foil card and two cards with a rarity of "rare", "epic" or "legendary".
- The "Disney Lorcan“ TCG Gift Set includes two oversized foil cards and two playable foil cards. Four booster packs and game markers are also included.
- The Illumineer's Trove is the perfect introduction to Disney Lorcana: The First Chapter. It contains eight booster packs, two deck boxes and a player's handbook in a themed storage box.
- Thematically designed and illustrated playmats, card sleeves, deck boxes and folders are also available.
* = affiliate link. If you purchase via one of the links, we receive a portion of the purchase price as a commission. There are no additional costs for you, but you can support our portal by doing so. Last updated on September 1.12.2023, XNUMX / Affiliate links / Images from the Amazon Product Advertising API. Images from Amazon PA API.