Disney Lorcana is currently shaking up the trading card market. Those who have a few or many cards at home puzzle over the rarity. Otherwise, boosters, displays or starter sets are no longer available in many places and on the Internet. Ravensburger has successfully launched sales, even if some fans are annoyed about empty shelves.
Ravensburger is with the first chapter of Disney Lorcan got off to an extremely successful start. The first wave includes over 200 cards, some of which are particularly valuable. Game fans and collectors alike are happy about the great reception that the trading card game is finding in the scene, and there is also joy among those who own rare cards. Disney Lorcana's secondary market sales are also picking up steam.
Disney Lorcana: Rarity in six levels
The Disney Lorcan Although there is a basic rarity system, determining the value of a card is not that easy. This is not least due to the special holographic cards, which give the concept a further level of rarity. The booster pack system, which is familiar from other trading card games, has been met with both joy and criticism. There are 12 cards for around six euros, which are randomly distributed in the tear-off packets. Basically, you should first be able to differentiate between the six rarity levels: Common, Uncommon, Rare, Very Rare, Legendary and Enchanted. The latter in particular are popular prey for fans, because this type of card is not only extremely rare, but also has a special, borderless design.
The basic rule of thumb behind Lorcana rarity symbols: the more straight sides the symbol has, the higher the rarity level. The whole thing is underpinned by a color system. According to this formula, the circle symbol represents the lowest rarity level, while the rainbow-colored hexagon indicates the highest rarity level. In between lie the four remaining symbol levels.
The symbol that indicates the rarity of Disney Lorcana cards can always be found at the bottom of the card in the black border strip. By the way, this is always present, even on the cards that are actually “borderless”. Officially there are 204 cards in the First Chapter of Disney Lorcana. However, there is a little trick here: only the number of unique cards, i.e. those with different names, is counted. The actual number of cards available is much higher.
The six rarity levels at Disney Lorcana:
Usually – gray circle
Unusual – white book (two straight lines)
Rare – bronze-colored triangle (three straight lines)
Very rare – silver-colored square (four straight lines)
Legendary – gold-colored pentagon (five straight lines)
Enchanted – rainbow-colored hexagon (six straight lines)
Holographic cards double the official number
The whole thing becomes a little more complicated with the holographic cards. The official number of 204 cards is doubled by the shimmering versions. The reason: Each of the cards from the First Chapter of Disney Lorcana can be included in a special holographic variant in a booster pack. So actually there are 408 cards. Apart from the special shimmer effect, the foil versions of the cards do not change: the illustrations are the same and the rarity symbols do not change either. Twelve enchanted cards with a borderless design go beyond the currently highest card number 214: these rainbow-colored cards are the premier class - alongside some promo cards, some of which are also traded online at higher prices. The promo cards are marked in a special way and do not contain the classic rarity symbols, but rather special notes.
Disney Lorcana: These promo cards have been released so far
- Mickey Mouse, the brave little tailor (D23 Expo 2022)
- Captain Hook, powerful duelist (D23 Expo 2022)
- Robin Hood, unsurpassed archer (D23 Expo 2022)
- Malevolent, monstrous dragon (D23 Expo 2022)
- Cruella De Vil, misery as always (D23 Expo 2022)
- Elsa, Snow Queen (D23 Expo 2022)
- Stitch, Rockstar (D23 Expo 2022)
- Yzma, Alchemist (Lorcana League)
- Mickey Mouse, Detective (Lorcana League)
- HeiHei, boat snack (Lorcana League)
- Mickey Mouse, Musketeer (Gen Con 2023)
- Goofy, Musketeer (Gamescom 2023)
In order to have any chance of getting rare or even super-rare cards, as a fan you have to buy boosters. Of the 12 cards included, six are uncommon, three are common, two are rare, very rare or legendary, and another card is holographic with a random rarity somewhere between rare and enchanted. The additional artwork card is not a playing card, just a gimmick. There are currently four pieces in total, together they form a concept drawing.
Pull rates at Disney Lorcana?
If you want to delve deeper into Disney Lorcana as a trading card game, sooner or later you will have to deal with the rarest of all cards – the “enchanted cards”. These currently twelve different, borderless and rainbow-colored cards are currently being traded at prices of several hundred euros. So they are actually something special, even compared to other rare or even holographic cards. The cards are not only rare, but extremely pretty. The so-called inkwash foiling gives the rare specimens an artistic look.
The twelve enchanted cards included Disney Lorcan are currently:
- Hades, King of Olympus
- Stitch, Carefree Surfer
- Elsa, spirit of winter
- Mickey Mouse, Headstrong Wizard
- Genius, At Work
- Mickey Mouse, Artful Villain
- Aladdin, Heroic Outlaw
- Maui, hero to all
- Aurora, Dreaming Guardian
- Belle, strange but special
- Simba, Returned King
- Tinker Bell, giant fairy
The high trading prices on the secondary market already give you an idea: the enchanted cards are rarely drawn from a booster. The exact pull rate is not yet known. The first scene experts are already assuming that this type of card could only be included in one of around 100 boosters. The Enchanted are numbered 205 through 216 for easier identification. In the first chapter of Disney Lorcana, there are two Enchanted cards for each of the six ink colors.
Apart from their appearance, the enchanted cards are identical to the “normal” versions. Ravensburger was clever enough not to mess up the balancing here. In any case, it can be assumed that collectors will hardly put the inkwashed versions of the cards in their normal playing decks. The risk of damage is too high; not only do the cards suffer in such a case, but also their value.
Disney Lorcana is commercially available
- There are three different “Disney Lorcana” TCG Starter Decks with an immediately playable deck, quick start rules, a legend counter, tokens and a booster pack.
- The "Disney Lorcana" TCG Booster Packs each consist of twelve random playing cards, including a foil card and two cards with a rarity of "rare", "epic" or "legendary".
- The Disney Lorcana TCG Gift Set includes two oversized foil cards and two playable foil cards. Four booster packs and game markers are also included.
- The Illumineer's Trove is the perfect introduction to Disney Lorcana: The First Chapter. It contains eight booster packs, two deck boxes and a player's handbook in a themed storage box.
- Thematically designed and illustrated playmats, card sleeves, deck boxes and folders are also available.
* = affiliate link. If you purchase via one of the links, we receive a portion of the purchase price as a commission. There are no additional costs for you, but you can support our portal by doing so. Last updated on September 28.11.2023, XNUMX / Affiliate links / Images from the Amazon Product Advertising API. Images from Amazon PA API.